Choose from multiple pre-built page modules and web page templates based on common requests from previous UChicago website projects. Advanced websites utilize the ExpressionEngine CMS to manage the website content and layout. No prior web experience is required in order to publish a professional, University-branded website.
Advanced websites are hosted and supported within the University by IT Services. If additional features not currently built into the existing templates are required, customizations can be requested. Advice on migrating current websites into the advanced website platform may be provided as well.
- UChicago-based templates - Designed specifically for University audiences based on development of previous UChicago websites.
- UChicago branding - Masthead, footer, design colors, and fonts are consistent with University identity guidelines.
- Hosted internally - Hosting is securely managed and upgrades are performed by IT Services.
- Events - Create events with the platform or include an events widget from the University’s Bedework calendar.
- News block - Create announcements with the news feature and post them to the website home page.
- Forms - Embed third-party form tools such as Wufoo, Google Forms, and others.
- Google Analytics - Add Google tracking code to generate statistics about website traffic and usage patterns.
This option is ideal for small- to medium-sized websites, where limited customization is needed. The templates ensure web pages align with UChicago branding, and look professional for internal or external audiences. The advanced website platform allows for more functionality than a self-service website, such as flexible navigation layouts and the ability to embed events and news stories on the home page. All the templates come pre-built so page layouts don’t need to be developed from scratch. Aside from the masthead and footer, most template sections can be included or removed as needed.
Advanced websites are available to UChicago faculty and staff. As these sites require an ongoing maintenance fee for the lifecycle of the website, they are best-suited for University departments or administrative units.
The advanced website ExpressionEngine CMS is served by HTTPS, an encrypted website connection, and is hosted on a secure environment managed by IT Services. A valid CNetID and password is required to access the website administration interface, and administrators must be connected through a University network or cVPN to edit the site.
An initial fee is required to launch an advanced website, which varies based on requested customizations and content migration assistance. An estimated price range to expect is $5,000-$15,000.
After initial launch, there is an ongoing monthly maintenance fee for hosting support provided by IT Services.
To request a new advanced website or discuss if this is the best website option for you, submit a UChicago Website Request form.
For helpful tips on editing advanced websites, visit the ExpressionEngine User Guide.