Self-service websites are a free web platform for faculty, students, and staff. Built upon the industry standard WordPress content management system, self-service websites (also referred to as "UChicago Voices") are an excellent fit for smaller websites with relatively simple content and functional needs.
- Pricing - No associated development or hosting costs.
- Simplicity of use - Quickly, easily, and professionally publish on the web using a pre-designed UChicago template.
- Ease of maintenance - Centrally maintained with security and platform updates provided.
- Versatility - Practical for smaller websites including personal and lab sites, as well as blogs.
- Support - Technical support (including guides and tutorials) available online; also via in-person walk-up assistance at the IT Services TechBar.
Self-service websites make it simple for the UChicago campus community members to publish almost any type of content to the web. Commonly used to build individual faculty and lab websites as well as student group sites, the self-service Voices platform makes it easy to build a site for uses including portfolios, learning activities, blogging, clubs, research groups, courses, and more.
Is Self-Service the Right Option?
The self-service Voices platform is useful for the following:
- A website containing fewer than 100 pages
- Sites that do not need to restrict visitors by CNetID or Grouper group
- Simple editing permissions without complex editorial workflow
- Sites with no required integrations
All UChicago faculty, staff, and students with a valid UChicago CNetID are eligible to request access to build self-service websites at no cost.
IT Services assumes no responsibility for content—the authors of web pages are responsible for the content of their pages. Use of this service is governed by UChicago policies, guidelines and best practices.
This service is free.
Ready to create a new self-service website? Submit a UChicago Website Request form.
If you have a self-service website related question, there are online resources to help:
Individualized Remote Support
Need additional help with your self-service website? Web Services is offering individual consultations to customers via Zoom. Book a consultation.
To request a new self-service website, or discuss if this is the best website option for you, submit a UChicago Website Request.